"Know that when a person is toxic, it is because of their own issues. Accept that a toxic person's behavior has nothing to do with you. In life, each of us has to take responsibility for our own actions. Toxic people do not do this. They have a habit of turning things around so that you feel bad, you feel guilty, and you feel like you are at fault. Realize this and take back your power."
The past few years I have unfortunately had to deal with various toxic people and thank goodness that in about a week or so I will not have to deal with some of them again! It's too bad when we end up giving up something we love because just being in the presence of toxic people make's it unbearable. If there is one thing I have learned, it's that toxic people don't like themselves and take out their frustrations and insecurities on some of us who are grounded, empathetic and sometimes unsuspecting!
One of thee most liberating feelings is literally ridding one's self of that toxic person and sometimes that means cutting all ties. If you don't give them any ammunition and a target then they will have to move on to somebody else.
It's amazing how a simple action like being accepted for nursing school in the Fall has really made me focus on my priorities in life. This next year I will be meeting a brand new set of people in the classroom and I'm definitely looking forward to a fresh start in the friendship department :) I'm going to spend the next few months focusing on the relationships within my own family....yes toxic friendships end up sucking the life out of family relationships too, yet another reason to get rid of them!
I feel very fortunate to have wonderful family and a few extra wonderful close friends who have helped me to much over the years.....those are the people we need to focus our energy on.
I think it's so important for all of us to focus on the positives in our lives and not get sucked into the negatives.
"Personal relationships are the fertile soil from which all advancement...all success... all achievement in real life grows"
Ben Stein
No comments:
Post a Comment